Simple Function Points vs Alternatives
There are really only two viable alternatives to SFP when sizing software, they are full IFPUG function points and COSMIC Function Points.
Full IFPUG function points look at more detail than SFP, notably, for IFPUG FP
- IFPUG considers the number of item attributes (DETS) to determine complexity
- IFPUG considers the record element types of ILFs to determine complexity
- Complexity of the function (both data and transaction) impacts on the functional size
The COSMIC sizing methodology builds on the insightful original ideas of Allan Albrecht and his creation of IFPUG. It addresses some of the weaknesses of IFPUG in the following areas:
- COSMIC is principle-based and requires no adaptation for different types of software.
- COSMIC allows you to size from incomplete knowledge of requirements
- COSMIC tends to have a higher correlation to effort than alternatives.
- COSMIC is easier to learn and automate.